This is an easy dish that is sure to be a family favourite. It is definitely a favorite in our kids' cooking classes so we have provided instructions with child helpers in mind! Change the toppings based on what you like and have available in your kitchen.
Servings: 36 perogies
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup finely chopped green onion
- ¾ cup mushroom sliced
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- ½ lb russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Have child(ren) collect and measure out the ingredients and check them off on the list to make sure all the ingredients have been collected.
- Whisk egg, water and oil together, then slowly add in flour and salt. Add more water if needed dough should be soft but not sticky.
- Knead dough until smooth (~10 minutes). Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 20 minutes.
- While dough is resting prepare filling.
- In a large pot of salted water cook potatoes until soft (~15 minutes). Drain, and transfer into a large bowl and mash or use a ricer.
- Add cheese, salt, pepper, and green onions to potato mixture.
- When dough has rested for 20 minutes roll it out until it is ¼ inch thick using a round cutter, cut dough. Place 1-2tsp (depending on the size of the cutter) in the center of each piece.
- Lightly moisten the edge of half of the round dough piece with water. Fold over and pinch the edges together with your fingers or a fork to seal in the filling.
- Repeat until all the dough and filling has been used up.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water cook perogies until they float. Gently remove once they begin to float using a slotted spoon. Place in serving bowl.
- In a medium to large pan melt butter over medium heat and sauté sliced onion and mushrooms until golden. Add sautéed vegetables to bowl with perogies and gently toss.
- Serve with plain Greek yogurt.