Beet and Pink Peppercorn Jam
Beet with Oranges and Pink Peppercorn Preserve
A truly unique, delightful blend of flavours. Not to mention a nice break from pickled beets. These preserves are so versatile, we have tried them with goat cheese and crackers, on top of oatmeal and an accompaniment to steak.
- 5 lbs beets
- 8 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 2 medium oranges
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbsp pink peppercorns crushed
- Boil beets until tender, about 20 - 30 minutes. Cool slightly then peel and process in a food processor until finely minced.
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often. Be careful, this will splutter! Cook to set at 220 degrees F. Check set on a cold plate.
- Once it is set, you can let it cool and keep it in the fridge or if you would like to preserve these beets for long term storage, then follow the instructions for canning.
- Prepare a boiling water bath and sterilize your jars in the boiling water. Do not boil the lids.
- Ladle the hot mixture into hot sterilized jars, wipe rims, remove air bubbles by poking the product with a non-metal device such as a wooden spoon handle.
- Place lids on jars, tightening only until resistance is felt and process jars in the canner for 25 minutes (adjusted for Calgary Altitude).
Adapted from The Preservatory