The term tagine refers to a Moroccan clay or ceramic dish, it also can mean a rich stew with meat dish with fruit and vegetables that are slow cooked.
- 1½ tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp garlic or onion powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 ½ lbs bison chuck cut into cubes
- 2 red onions diced
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups carrots chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- ¼ cup dried apricots cut in half
- ¼ cup silvered almonds
- 1 liter beef stock
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped optional garnish
- Heat a medium sized saucepan with vegetable oil.
- In a bowl mix salt, black pepper, paprika, ginger, garlic or onion powder, turmeric, and cinnamon and rub into the meat.
- Once pan is hot carefully add meat, onion and sear the meat.
- Once meat is rich brown colour add garlic and deglaze pan with beef stock.
- Add all remaining ingredients except chopped parsley and let simmer for approximately 1-2 hours until meat is tender stirring occasionally.
- Serve with brown rice or whole wheat couscous and garnish with chopped parsley.
This dish freezes well it can be frozen up to 2 months.