A creamy, low carb, hearty and wonderfully cozy soup! A yummy recipe used in our Cooking with Colours class for 4 to 8 year olds to learn the tasty nutrients in white foods. Packed with veggies, kids love the smooth creaminess of this soup.
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup 2% milk can use coconut milk for non-dairy
- 1 head cauliflower roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, carrots and celery.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in cauliflower and bay leaf. Cook, stirring occasionally, until barely crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until cauliflower are tender, about 12-15 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. If the chowder is too thick, add more milk as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately, garnished with bacon and parsley, if desired.