Jamie Oliver’s 7 Veg Tomato Sauce
7 Veg Tomato Sauce
Fool Your Food this April Fools Day! Hide extra veggies into your meals and see who notices. Jam-packed with nutritious veg, this has to be one of the easiest ways to get extra veggie portions into our diet, as well as all sorts of brilliant micronutrients.
- 2 small onions
- 2 small leeks
- 2 sticks of celery
- 2 carrots
- 2 small zucchini
- 2 red peppers
- ½ a butternut squash 600g
- 2 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 x 400 g tins of plum tomatoes
- Peel the onions, wash and trim the leeks, celery, carrots and zucchinis, deseed the peppers and squash (there’s no need to peel it), then finely chop it all. Peel the garlic and finely chop by hand.
- Put a super-large pan on a medium heat with 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the garlic and oregano, fry for 1 minute, then add all the prepped veg.
- Cook with the lid on for 25 minutes, or until the veg are soft but not coloured, stirring regularly. Pour in the tinned tomatoes, breaking them up with a wooden spoon, then just under half-fill each tin with water, swirl around and pour into the pan.
- Simmer for 25 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced. Leave to cool a little, then blitz with immersion or regular blender until smooth, taste, and season to perfection.
Divide up this batch recipe and freeze for future meals on anything from pizza to simple pastas. In other recipes using more than one tin of tomatoes, try swapping out one tin for a tin’s worth of this sauce for an extra nutritional boost.