This rhubarb syrup can be used for as many cool refreshing summer drinks and cocktails that you can imagine. Makes about 2 cups.
- 4 cups fresh rhubarb, sliced
- 1½ cups or enough water to just cover the rhubarb
- ½ cup honey
- Wash and slice rhubarb into ¼- to ½ -inch slices. Place rhubarb in a saucepan and add water to cover the fruit. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, reduce to low and cook 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand 30 minutes.
- Strain rhubarb, stirring the solids to remove as much of the liquid as possible. Discard the solids.
- Combine the strained rhubarb liquid with and the honey and stir until honey is well-blended.
- Pour syrup into a bottle or glass jar(s). Store in the refrigerator.
Here’s some ideas to enjoy your rhubarb syrup:
- Make a refreshing rhubarb fizz by pouring 2 ounces of rhubarb syrup over ice in a tall glass, top with club soda, stir to blend and add a slice of lime to the rim.
- Drizzle rhubarb syrup over vanilla yoghurt or ice cream.
- Use in a Rhubarb Bellini cocktail; using one part syrup to 4 parts sparkling wine or prosecco.