With our Edible Education program students are able to apply their understanding of concepts from math, social studies, science, art and language arts to learn nutrition and apply it to everyday life.
Students will gain hands-on experience with growing and/or cooking food to help our children make healthy eating choices throughout life. The culinary and gardening experiences align with existing math, science, social studies, language arts, and art curricula for Kindergarten to Grade 6 to enhance experiential learning for the students. Poppy Innovations’ Food Skills and Nutrition Educator will come to your classroom with equipment and supplies to provide Edible Education in your classroom.
Registration for the 2019-2020 school programs is officially open.
Why You Need Edible Education
Our program takes nutrition education to the next level, extending curriculum outcomes into students’ daily lives with the convenience of remaining within the school environment. Our programs not only reinforce the understanding of a diet-health connection but aims to build family engagement and connection through nutrition choices as well as between families and resourceful communities.
What Classroom Teachers Can Expect
- Engaging and experienced instructors;
- Single lesson or multi-week programs encompassing a variety of cooking and gardening topics;
- Thoughtfully developed lesson that align with Alberta Education curriculum expectations;
- A variety of student experiences (i.e. critical discussions, collaborative and kinesthetic activities, visuals and reflection);
- Take home tasks to reinforce and extend student learning;
- Heightened awareness of food (i.e. food sourcing, local and seasonal food resources, selecting and preparing healthy food); and
- Opportunities for students to become increasingly engaged with their own families and choices when selecting food and nutrition.
Integrated school activities. Download the Edible Education Brochure for a current list of available programs.
- offered during the school day in the classroom
- available for single classes and grade level teams
Before and after school programs
- programming can be provided at your school garden or foods lab
Evenings for the family
- Cook with Your Kids events engage students’ families in the process of learning to eat healthier so parents and children work as a team to make healthy selections and meals possible.
All bookings for Edible Education programs are done online. Visit our Edible Education Bookings to submit your booking request.
We charge on a per-student basis, up to a maximum of 30 students per program. The cost is $11.00 per student. Minimum charge is $250. Additional costs for travel will apply to schools outside Calgary city limits for travel costs. There is no charge for supervisors and volunteers.
Need Funding? Submit an application for Edible Education Financial Subsidy Confirmation of funding must be received prior to submitting a booking request. We aim to review all applications and respond within 3 weeks.
We encourage teachers to inform us as soon as possible if you will not be able to make your booked program. A cancellation fee of $150 will be charged for schools not providing at least one month notice.
We will work with you to try and find an alternative date for you to visit rather than cancelling.
Learn about new Edible Education activities and programs that can be offered for your school community as well as when registration opens! Sign up for our mailing list.
For more information and bookings, contact our Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-889-5244.