Stove Top Peach Cobbler with Vanilla Yoghurt
Stove Top Peach Cobbler
Too hot to turn the oven on this summer, you can still enjoy summer stone fruit with this stove top cobbler. Peaches are excellent sources of potassium and vitamin A. Serve this home-cooked dessert with calcium-rich yogurt for a whole food and flavourful dessert.
- 8 cups of fresh peaches ~8 peaches
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 egg + milk to make ¾ cup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- garnish with mint
- To Peel peaches, score the peaches with an X on the bottom. Get a large pot of hot boiled water. Dip peaches in for ~60 seconds, then dip in a bowl of cold water. The peach skin should easily slip off the peach. Slice peaches.
- In a large bowl, mix together peaches, sugar, water. Adjust sugar for ripeness of fruit.
- Lightly mist bottom of a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot with vegetable oil spray. Pour peach mixture into pan. Heat over medium heat.
- In a liquid measuring cup, hand-beat one egg then add in enough milk to make ¾ cup. Add in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, sugars, salt.
- Hand stir in egg mixture to the flour bowl, until just mixed. Do not overmix.
- When peaches are slowly simmering, drop batter mixture on top of peaches. Cover with lid. Cook for ~10 minutes on low-medium heat, or until cobbler is cooked. Serve in a bowl with a dollop of vanilla yogurt. Garnish with mint.