Ratatouille is a rustic vegetable mélange out southern France, great for summer with fresh seasonal vegetables. Hearty and filling, made mostly of vegetables makes it lower in calories and each bite is packed with flavour.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 eggplant cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- salt to taste
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 zucchini sliced
- 1 large onion sliced into rings
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat bottom and sides of a casserole dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir garlic until lightly browned. Mix in parsley and eggplant. Cook and stir until eggplant is soft, about 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Spread eggplant mixture evenly across bottom of prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Spread zucchini in an even layer over top. Lightly salt and sprinkle with a little more cheese. Continue layering in this fashion, with onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, and tomatoes, covering each layer with a sprinkling of salt and cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
This recipe was prepared in our Plant to Plate class. Learning how to grow veggies and prepare tasty dishes with the freshest of ingredients is part of how Poppy Innovations is changing the way we eat!