Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Croutons
Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese Croutons
When the weather turns cold, tomato soup is sure to warm you up. In this recipe the renowned grilled cheese sandwich accompaniment to tomato soup is turned into croutons for a tasty, crunchy topping. This soup uses a low-sodium chicken broth but you can also make your own chicken broth to control the flavour and sodium levels of the broth.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 2 small carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 small celery stalks chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 796- mL can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 slices whole grain or any type of bread
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large saucepan over medium. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is soft, 4 to 5 min.
- Add carrots, celery, pepper, tomato paste, lime juice, sugar, basil, salt and black pepper. Season with fresh pepper. Cook until vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 min.
- Add broth and diced tomatoes and juices. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer until vegetables are tender, 20 min.
- Puree in 2 batches in a blender (or use an immersion blender)until smooth. Return to saucepan set over low to keep warm.
- Spread 2 tbsp butter on both sides of each bread slice.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium and lay 2 slices in pan. Top each with 1 slice of cheese, then remaining bread.
- Cook until bread is golden brown, then flip bread over in the frying pan and cook, until cheese is melted and bread is golden. About 4 min. Remove from pan and let cool slightly.
- Cut grilled bread into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with grilled cheese croutons.