Mashed Chick Pea Pita
A quick way to change up your sandwich with protein rich, low fat chick peas. This kid friendly recipe is a big hit in our Edible Education school activities where kids can use their big muscles for mashing and fill their pita to their liking. Use any other veggies you have on hand for alternative fillings.
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 6 tablespoons plain fat-free Greek yogurt divided
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15-ounccan no-salt-added chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup diced peeled English cucumber
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 carrot shredded
- 2 6-inch whole wheat pitas cut in half
- Greens spinach, arugula, curly leaf lettuce, etc.
- Sprouts for topping
Combine garlic, 5 tablespoons yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice salt and chick peas in a bowl; mash with a potato masher or fork until almost smooth or to desired consistency. Stir in cucumber and dill.
Combine remaining 1 tablespoon yogurt and carrot in a small bowl; stir well to coat.
Line each pita half with 1 lettuce leaf; fill with 1/2 cup chickpea mixture and 2 tablespoons carrot mixture. Top with sprouts. Enjoy!