Rhubarb BBQ Sauce
Rhubarb BBQ Sauce
Rhubarb’s tart taste gives this savory barbeque sauce a delicious tangy flavour. It’s not just for desserts! Rhubarb is packed with nutrients most notably dietary fiber, protein, and vitamin K which supports healthy bone growth and brain health.
- 1 pound rhubarb fresh or frozen (about 4 cups)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp water more water to thin sauce to desired consistency
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp hot sauce optional
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- Salt to taste
- Prepare a boiling water bath and jars to sterilize. Place the lids in a small saucepan, cover them with water and simmer over very low heat.
- In a large, nonreactive skillet add olive oil and heat on medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion begins to turn golden but not browned. About 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Add the rhubarb, ketchup, water, molasses, brown sugar, smoked paprika, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard and hot sauce (if using) and ground black pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring often until the rhubarb is tender and starts to fall apart. It should take about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Transfer the food to a blender and puree until smooth. Add more water if necessary to thin sauce to desired consistency. Add salt to taste.
- Ladle the sauce into hot jars. Leave ½ inch headspace. Remove any air bubbles from inside the jar. Wipe the rims, apply the lids and rings and process in a boiling water bath for 25 minutes (adjusted for Calgary altitude).
Tip: Use sauce to baste pork, poultry, beef and even tofu before or during cooking.