Beets with Oranges & Pink Peppercorn
Beet with Oranges & Pink Peppercorn
Let's be honest there are only so much pickled beets a person can possibly eat. My friends and I were looking for ideas and came across this recipe in one of my all time fav canning books. This beet "jam" is too die for! We sampled it with cheese, with oatmeal and in a grilled cheese sandwich. Wow is all I can say.
- 5 lb beets
- 8 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 2 medium oranges
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbsp pink peppercorns crushed
- Boil Beets until tender, about 20 - 30 minutes. Cool slightly then peel and process in a food processor until finely minced.
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often. Be carful, this one is a splurter! Cook to set at 220 degrees F. Check set on a cold plate.
- Let sit 5 minutes then ladle into hot sterilized jars, wipe rims, place lids on jars and process 25 minutes (adjusted for Calgary Altitude).